Hanging out, ready to sing some Blues

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

WVMBA #1: Big Bear

This is where you’ll find the Chrissy race reports this season fan so here we go….

Welp fan, I had a pretty good weekend of racing. I stopped by a crit in Virginia Saturday on my way to the first WVMBA race on Sunday. I was in a nice break that did not stick and it ended in a sprint so I sat up as I do not need to mix it up in that stuff these days. It was fun though. Then off to Morgantown….

Sunday was the WVMBA season opener at Big Bear. I was a little concerned about my fitness but at the end of the day I was pleased with were I am at. They had us single speeders start after the Pro/ex’s which stunk but it turned out well. The fast SSer’s had a lot of guys to plow through. I duked it out with Benji who lives literally next to the event so he knows EVERY rock and line. We were weeding our way through the geared guys when suddenly some skinny kid came bouncing by us. At first I thought it was a geared guy regrouping but shit no derailleur. I holler at Benji, he shrugs his shoulders and we continue on. I kept Benji in sight for the first 45 minutes. He helped design the course so chasing him all day kept me busy and on task. I lost sight of Benji for a bit but stayed focused and in the pain box when suddenly I caught the skinny kid, sweet I am in 2nd. I dug deep to regroup with Benji but by the end he did get the best of me so I ended up 2nd SS and 9th overall (with our delayed start). I am very happy with my fitness and riding so that is very cool. It should be a fun season and if with the turn out of over 200 riders is any indication WVMBA should have a good season too. There were many smiling new faces that are enjoying the lyfe which is great to see.

Bunny got 1st, the old man 4th (Pro/ex) and Not So Fat Anymore Boy JR sandbanged and won the big boy class. Good work ByBc/Team Bi-atch/Cannondale.


We are headed out for Tennessee Thursday for the Cohuta 100 Saturday. A 100 miler in April is a little scary I have to admit. I suppose all the north-east-coasters are feeling that way though. Should be interesting. The Smokey Mountains are amazing so if anything the views should be great. It should be a painful blast no matter what. But I really feel a top 3 in the SS and a top 20 overall is very doable. Lets just see how many tan west coasters show up.

Check the 08 archives at Team Bi-atch

Shout outs and such…
- JR’s lovely almost wife Gina for running WVMBA while her slacker almost hubby races
- All that came out to ride, suffer, smile and enjoy.
- Cannondale, Matt and Uncle Rob
- Mark S. and the Big Bear family for hosting so many cool events
- The purty ladies in the woods screaming for me…us


"May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face" and may your wheels always find it safely back to the ground.
PEACE Chris

No comments: